Saturday, November 21, 2009

Alice and Censorship

File:Down the Rabbit Hole.png    


     Did you know Alice in Wonderland is notorious, a banned book? The Chinese government censored Carroll's classic in 1931 because animals shouldn't be anthropomorphicized. According to The File Room, a site that catalogs banned books, the Chinese government did so because "Animals should not use human language, and that it was disastrous to put animals and human beings on the same level." Wonder what they'd think of Spongebob?!?

2 comments:

  1. Kitty - how much fun! I didn't know you had this blog too. I love the theme. One of my favorite Vogue spreads is the Alice in Wonderland story - forget the year. Have you seen that one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sanity! I have seen the spread; I remember the shot where Alice is too big for the rabbit's house! If I'm not mistaken, Karl Lagerfeld was part of the story, too. I'd have cast him as a wise, chic caterpillar! Thanks for coming by. Happy Thanksgiving to youuuu! xo kitty

    ReplyDelete